Assistive technology

Assistive technology is equipment and services which can be provided to help you live more safely and as independently as possible at home. If you have a disability or illness that limits your independence, technology can help you stay safe and support you to maintain or improve your independence.

The types of equipment and service that are available include, but are not limited to -

  • Careline telecare service
  • memory aids and tools
  • property exit sensors and personal locators


Telecare is a free service that provides a range of equipment and sensors to help people live independently within their own homes.

Telecare is a service for anybody who feels it would help them and is especially beneficial for older, vulnerable and disabled people to call for help whenever it is needed using a trigger button or any of the other telecare sensors.


It provides people with access to a dedicated Lifeline control Centre 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In the event of an emergency at home, trained control operators can respond and take the most appropriate action to help the customer.

More information and how to apply for Telecare or Lifelines can be found on the Hull City Council site.

Memory aids and tools

If you have an impairment of your memory, these devices can help you remember to do things -

  • medication reminders
  • devices that play a verbal prompt when motion is detected - for example, when you are leaving home, to remind you to take your keys with you, or lock your door
  • timed reminder devices –  plays video or audio reminders at set times of the day or night


Sensory impairment

There are services for people aged 18 and over with hearing or visual impairment or both. The type and amount of help needed varies from person to person.

Visit Sensory impairment where you will find information about -

  • equipment to help you manage at home
  • services and activities available locally
  • practical help with signing, interpreting, writing letters, using the phone or telling the time
  • referral to other services such as meals services, home help or advice
  • referral to voluntary agencies and groups for help with practical and social problems
  • advice on housing, income and employment, education and training opportunities
  • training advice on mobility and with getting out and about
  • direct payments for you to buy services
  • social work support for practical and social problems