Equipment and adaptations can help you live more independently and confidently at home and in your community.

For example if you find it difficult to carry out everyday tasks such as washing, dressing and cooking or moving around your home, or if you are caring for someone who has difficulties.

Whatever you're having difficulty with there is probably a piece of equipment that can help. There are many types of equipment designed to help with different day-to-day activities. Here are just a few examples -

  • shower boards and bath seats
  • trolleys for carrying things between rooms
  • special beds and chairs for high-need residents
  • raised toilet seats and commodes
  • grab rails
  • wall-to-floor rails
  • replacement taps if eligible
  • portable ramps to steps

Local pharmacies or GPs often offer advice and brochures to help you choose home equipment.

There are a number of online tools available to help you find and buy equipment to help you stay independent for longer.

The Safe & Well website has on online questionnaire to help determine the products which could help based on your needs.

NRS are the providers of equipment to Hull City Council. They have a wide range of equipment available for you to purchase directly through their website.

Alternatively, you may prefer to visit a local shop or search the community directory.

How to get assessed

People with more complex needs may benefit from an assessment from an occupational therapist to help them find out what they need.

All requests for either equipment or an adaptation must start with a care needs assessment.

What happens after the assessment

If your needs can be met with a simple item of equipment or minor adaptation, your assessor will arrange for this to be provided via the council’s equipment provider.

If your home needs to be adapted the occupational therapist will draw up a detailed recommendation. The next part of the process for adaptations will vary depending on whether you are -

  • an owner-occupier or private tenant
  • a council tenant
  • a housing association tenant

Eligibility for equipment or an adaptation

You will need to meet certain eligibility criteria. If you are an adult, you will need to have an assessment that meets the Care Act eligibility regulations.

For major adaptations, the works must be necessary and appropriate to meet your needs.

It is also important that the adaptations would be practical and feasible in terms of the actual property.

In some instances where an adaptation is not possible, moving home may be a more suitable option.

Recycling your care equipment

If you have equipment such as crutches, walking sticks, walking frames, toilet frames and rollators which are no longer needed, and have an NRS sticker you can recycle them by taking them to one of the sites below:

Wiltshire Road HWRC
11 Dairycoates Industrial Estate
Wiltshire Road

Household waste recycling centre opening times

NRS Healthcare Reed Street office
11 Reed Street
Open 9am-4pm, Monday - Friday

Do you want your care needs assessing?

Complete the online form and we will be in touch.

Complete an online referral form here
A showerhead

Adapted Home Application

You can apply for a council house and be added to the adapted home list.

Apply for a council property